Recipe by mollypaul
Another Pennsylvania Dutch recipe full of delicious, satisfying flavor. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup other shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, for glazing
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut shortening into flour as for piecrust.
- Combine beaten eggs, cream, vanilla, sugar and salt.
- Add to flour and shortening mixture and chill.
- Form into rolls about 8 inches long and as thick as a pencil.
- Mix egg white with milk.
- Brush pretzels with egg white/milk mixture and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.