Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
These delicate cookies are made with ground almonds, orange zest and orange juice.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Another winner from Crafty Lady 13, these delicious, subtley flavored cookies are the bomb. Quick and easy to make with terrific results. We enjoyed these so much, that we added them to our Christmas platters this year. They were very well received. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 orange
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups ground almonds
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenhet.
- Whisk the shortening in a large bowl until light and aerated. Use an electric mixer if possible.
- Gradually beat in the granulated sugar.
- Grate the rind of the orange onto a plate and squeeze juice into a cup. Be careful to remove any seeds from the juice.
- Whisk the eggs, orange rind and orange juice into the shortening mixture and continue for 3 to minutes after combined.
- Sift flour together with baking powder in a separate bowl.
- Stir the flour mixture and almonds into the shortening mixture until it forms a dough.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and roll out the dough until it's about 1/2-inch thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out 36 round cookies and place them on baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool and firm on baking sheets for about 10 minutes.
- Mix confectioner's sugar with cinnamon and sift this mixture evenly over the baked cookies as they cool.