Recipe by Mirj
There they are, every single Passover, those Macaroons. You can't escape them! I, personally, am not a fan of the coconut macaroon, which is the more popular kind of Passover cookie you find in the supermarket. But an almond macaroon? That's almost worth the whole holiday!
- 2 cups unblanched almonds, ground
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 3 egg whites
- slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients, except for the egg whites.
- Stir in the egg whites.
- The dough will be like thick, wet sand.
- Roll into one inch balls.
- Place on a greased (or foil lined, or parchment paper lined) cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Press an almond sliver into each cookie.
- Bake at 350°F.
- for 15-20 minutes, until dry and lightly brown.