Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
A tasty little cookie I found in Rachael Ray's Magazine.
- 1 cup almonds, blanched (plus more for garnish)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, zest of, plus
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 425°F Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray.
- Using a food processor, finely grind 1 cup almonds with 1 tablespoon sugar. In a large bowl, beat the remaining sugar, the oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice until a soft paste forms.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy and thick. Add this to the lemon-sugar mixture and beat for 20 seconds.
- Fold in flour, cardamom, and ground almond mixture until smooth.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto the cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches space between each. Top each with an almond.
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Using a spatula, immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.