Recipe by Rinder
Almond flavoring combined with the crunchy almonds adds a nice flavor and texture. Recipe is from a Christmas Cookbook collection of recipes.
Top Review by Maito
Really nice almond flavor. I doubled the bread and Amaretto and halved the butter (next time I will quarter it). I was worried the almonds wouldn't stick, but was pleased that it worked just fine. They were a great touch! I guess this depends on how large your pieces are, but for us this served 8. This is really yummy!
- 12 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 3 cups half-and-half or 3 cups milk
- 6 -8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 32 slices bread (slightly stale,thick-sliced works well)
- 2 cups thinly sliced almonds
- confectioners' sugar
- maple syrup, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium mixing bowl,beat the eggs.
- Whisk in the almond extract,ground cinnamon,nutmeg, amaretto and half-and-half.
- Melt about 1/2 tblsp of butter in a heavy skillet.
- or griddle over medium-high heat and spread it around.
- Dip the bread,piece by piece,in the egg mixture until just barely soaked through.
- Cook until browned on one side,2-3 minutes,then before flipping,sprinkle with almond slices.
- Flip and cook until the other side is nicely browned.
- Continue with all the bread,adding butter as needed.
- Set each piece on a large platter,and put in a warmed oven as you cook.
- Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and serve with maple syrup or whatever syrup you enjoy.