Recipe by Lennie
I first received this recipe when I took Chinese Cooking classes at night school back in 1978. Unfortunately, I have misplaced my notes -- so I found this on the Web in response to a request for an oriental-themed dessert. It is very very close to my misplaced recipe. Prep time includes LOTS of chilling time.
Top Review by ChrisMc
Nice light summer salad. This is very similar to a recipe my fiancee's father makes, although he makes it without adding sugar to the gelatin (and I think I prefer it that way - there is plenty of sweet in this recipe). I also add pineapple, and I agree that the fruit should be drained.
- 3 cups water
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 (15 ounce) can fruit cocktail
- 1 (20 ounce) can lychees
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 16 maraschino cherries, cut into halves (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil; add gelatin and sugar and cook until dissolved.
- Remove from heat; stir in milk and almond extract.
- Pour into a 13x9 glass pan and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours).
- In the recipe I found on the Web, it says to use the cans of fruit undrained; however, this is not what I remember from my recipe and I would recommend draining them.
- In a large serving bowl, gently stir together the fruit cocktail, lychees and mandarin oranges.
- Cut gelatin into cubes, preferably diamond-shaped.
- Gently combine with fruit.
- Garnish with cherries, if desired.
- Chill well before serving.