Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
MMMMmmmm!!!! Almonds and Cinnamon in a cookie bar. A nice addition to the festive cookie platter. Bars can be frozen, well wrapped,for up to 2 months.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Base: In small bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, lemon rind and salt; set aside.
- In medium bowl using an electric mixer, beat together sugar, butter and egg yolk until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until well combined.
- Pat evenly over base of 9-inch square baking pan.
- Brush evenly with egg white.
- Almond Topping: In small bowl, combine almonds, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over base.
- Bake in 350 degrees oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool in pan before cutting into bars.
This is a really nice bar - a little something out of the ordinary! Great flavour - the lemon also plays a starring role. I found them to be nice and moist although one of my guests commented that they were dry - I'm wondering if it was the powdery topping that made it seem dry. My only complaint is that the almonds did not stick at all. But, overall, quick & easy to prepare and delicious!
I made these for something different and really enjoyed them. The lemon comes through and brightens the flavour. I'm sure that they will be a hit on my Christmas platter. Thanks for posting this recipe.