Geniale Genie's Note:
This is a healthi(er) cake although it is very dense and slightly dry. I has a very pleasant flavour, no overpowering sweetness. It is extremely simple to make. I have included alternative for diabetics, but the original recipe itself is probably suitable, in moderation, for diabetics. I got this from a cookbook written by the cook at the daycare centre I attended as an infant. If your kids don't like the tartness of lemon, you could easily substitute the lemon by an orange. *I have made a couple of suggestions at the bottom of the directions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or 1 1/2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream of wheat (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Beat the butter with brown sugar until creamy and until sugar is dissolved in the fat.
- 2Add eggs and beat well.
- 3Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- 4Pour in a grease 8x8 baking pan.
- 5Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 6Cool ten minutes, then pour hot glaze.
- 7To make glaze, mix all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 8Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 9Pour onto warm cake and set aside for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- 10*I like to turn the cake upside down and poke holes with a toothpick, then pour on half the glaze. Turn the cake over, poke holes on top, then pour remaining glaze (keeping most of the zest for the top). I then pour glaze left over at the bottom, back into the pan, then slowly re-pour on top. I repeat until no, or little, glaze is pooled at the bottom of the dish.
- 11*I usually add little extra lemon zest, which I grind in the blender. I then set aside most of the zest and grind my almonds in the same container, that way, some of the lemon goes into the cake batter.
- 12*I usually bake this in a convection toaster-oven and it is ready in 30 minute rather than 40-50.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Cake With Lemony Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.9
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 38.6 mg
- Sodium 40.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g