Recipe by spatchcock
Nice alternative to the peanut variety.
Top Review by Vseward (Chef~V)
I have a couple Almond Brittle recipes but wanted to try something new. Made this as a trial and error and found it delicious. Not confusing at all. Just got to have that candy thermometer handy and all is well. Thank you for sharing this recipe. It's a keeper... I plan to make it again for Christmas. ~V
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup (golden syrup)
- 2 cups unblanched sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the water to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan over moderate heat.
- Stir in the sugar and corn syrup until dissolved.
- Cook to the hard-ball stage (250F, 121C) and add the almonds and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, to the hard-crack stage (300F, 150C).
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Pour the mixture onto a well buttered slab or baking sheet and spread it out with a spatula, making it as thin as possible while it is still hot.
- Cool to room temperature and break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.