Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
A delicious breakfast treat with no eggs or dairy!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm water (105 to 115)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup cold margarine, non-hydrogenated
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup almond milk (or soy, rice, etc.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice or 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- almond milk (optional)
- coarse sugar (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl soften yeast in warm water; set aside. In a large.
- mixing bowl, stir together flour, whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar,.
- salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (or cardomom). Cut in the cold margarine.
- until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the softened yeast,.
- milk and almond extract until combined. In a small bowl, combine the ground flax with the 4 tbsp water and whisk together about 30 seconds until gelatinous. Beat into mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2.
- hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- For filling: Stir together ground almonds, 3 tablespoons brown sugar,.
- sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon allspice (or cardomom); set aside.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 3 portions.
- Shape each into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Gently roll out.
- each piece of dough to a 10" circle. Place one circle on a 12" pizza pan or.
- a large baking sheet lined with greased foil. Brush with half of the melted.
- margarine. Sprinkle with half of the filling. Cover with another circle of.
- dough. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining filling. Top.
- with the last dough circle.
- With kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut the stack of dough into 12.
- wedges, cutting to within 1" of the center. Carefully lift each wedge and.
- turn over twice to create a twist in each piece. Cover with plastic wrap.
- and chill for 2 to 24 hours before baking.
- Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking. If desired,.
- brush with more almond milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in a 350 oven for 30 to.
- 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cool slightly on foil.
- on a rack. Serve warm. To serve, transfer bread to a serving platter; cut.
- into wedges.