Prep 24 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Prepare and shape the dough the night before- when you awake, pop it in the oven for a wonderful morning treat!
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup water (120 degree F. to 130 degree F.)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- milk (optional)
- coarse sugar (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl soften yeast in warm water; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, the 1/4 cup brown sugar, salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon cardamom or nutmeg.
- Cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the softened yeast, eggs, milk, and almond extract until combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- For filling, stir together ground almonds, the 3 tablespoons brown sugar, granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom or allspice; set aside.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 3 portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Gently roll out each portion of dough to a 10-inch circle.
- Place 1 circle on a 12-inch pizza pan or a large baking sheet lined with greased foil.
- Brush with half of the melted butter; sprinkle with half of the filling.
- Cover with another circle of dough.
- Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining filling.
- Top with the last dough circle.
- With kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut the stack of dough into 12 wedges, cutting to within 1 inch of the center.
- Carefully lift each wedge and turn over twice to create a twist in each piece.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours before baking.
- Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking.
- If desired, brush with milk; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in a 350 degree F.
- oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
- Cool slightly on foil on a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
- To serve, transfer bread to a serving platter; cut into wedges.