Recipe by Zsuzsa
This is a moist, buttery apple cake. The dough is best made the night before, put in the fridge and then filled and baked the next morning.
Top Review by potboiler
Wow! What an excellent recipe; just like I've tasted in Hungarian pastry shops! I've made this twice now, the last time was for friends on Guy Fawkes night - it went down a treat with the assembled crowd. In the second instance I partly cooked the apples and added them to the dish warm because on the first attempt the filling wasn't cooked quite enough. This is probably to do with type of apples I was using; Bramley cooking apples straight from the tree taste great but are very hard. I also added a pinch of salt to the dough and a pinch of cloves to the apples. I found it necessary to cover the pite with foil to prevent over-browning during cooking. It was 'nagyon finom' as the Hungarians say!
For the dough
- 500 g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup pure cream
For the filling
- 6 -7 Red Delicious apples
- 100 g walnuts, crushed
- caster sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make the Dough:.
- In a food processor, process butter, egg yolks and sour cream or cream.
- Add the flour, dry yeast and sugar. Process until dough is light and does not stick to the sides of the processor.
- If the dough is too moist, add a bit more flour, if too dry, add a bit of milk.
- Cover and put in the fridge overnight.
- Take the dough out of the fridge about 1-2 hours before you bake it, so the dough can soften a little.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius and greas a rectangular baking dish.
- Cut the dough in two, and roll out to the size of your baking dish and place one part inches.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Grate the apples and squeeze all the juice out.
- Put apples on top of walnuts.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar and cinnamon.
- Put the other half of the dough on top.
- Brush with a beaten egg and prick with a fork in a few places to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for around 35-40 minutes.
- Cool in baking dish.
- Great served with cream!