The center is creamy with bits of corn - the bottom crusty. Perfection! With honey, butter, cheddar cheese and sour cream, what's not to love? If it tasted any better, I'd swoon! From 5th Avenue Suites Red Star Tavern, Portland, Ore. (Irene Wassell)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking oil or nonstick cooking spray
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 ounces white cheddar cheese or 6 ounces regular cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 16 ounces creamed corn (or 12 ounces creamed corn and 8 oz fresh corn)
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- honey (optional)
- 1Heat oven to 350°F (325°F convection oven, fan on).
- 2Heat 12" cast iron skillet in oven until it is quite hot, 10-15 minutes. When hot, oil pan with vegetable oil or cooking spray. (for less thick bread, batter is enough for two 12" skillets).
- 3In large bowl, combine eggs, butter, milk, cheese, sour cream and corn; mix well.
- 4Mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add to the milk mixture and stir until well combined.
- 5Pour batter into hot pan.
- 6Bake until golden brown on top and batter is "set," about 25 minutes. The cornbread may seem wet or moist, but will be somewhat firm to the touch. Let it cool in the pan, the residual heat will finish cooking the bread. (Sometimes it's done enough to eat straight from oven, when bottom is crustiest!).
- 7To serve, reheat in pan and loosen bread while hot with butter knife around the edges and turn out onto warm plate.
- 8Drizzle with honey, if desired. It's so rich, though, you may not need it!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for All-Time Best Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (1944 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3704.9
- Calories from Fat 1886
- Total Fat 209.6 g
- Saturated Fat 124.2 g
- Cholesterol 938.5 mg
- Sodium 5251.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 361.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.7 g
- Sugars 70.0 g
- Protein 113.0 g