A twist on the classic whoopie pie, I created this recipe because I wanted a cleaner and healthier treat. I use 100% Cacao, All Natural Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate; but feel free to substitute your favorite dark chocolate. If you can resist eating these directly after assembling them, they are a lot less messy after they have been chilled; although I do love them super-gooey and at room temperature. You can find the ground almonds at most local health food stores and some grocery stores. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 1/2 ounce) box dreams gluten-free chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup room temperature water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, diced into small chunks
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Line 4-15x10 1/2 inch jelly roll pans with Reynolds Wrap Foil. Grease each foil-lined pan with ½ Tbsp unsalted butter, softened.
- 3Beat cake mix, water, eggs, and grapeseed oil. Stir in dark chocolate chunks. Batter will be thick.
- 4Drop by slightly rounded tablespoons onto prepared pans, 12 per pan, approximately 1 ½ " apart. Bake 8-10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool 2 minutes on baking pan then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5Meanwhile, whip up the filling by beating together the powdered sugar, ground almonds, heavy cream, vanilla, honey, unsalted butter, and xanthan gum.
- 6Drop 3 tablespoons of filling in the center of 24 of the cooled, chocolate cakes. Carefully top those cakes with the remaining 24 cakes, pressing lightly to spread filling. Wrap individual pies in Reynolds Clear Plastic Wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for All Natural Chocolate Chunk & Almond Butter Whoopie Pies
Serving Size: 1 (1117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.2
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 32.4 mg
- Sodium 11.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten-free chocolate cake mix