This is my version of an all-American classic. It is one of my ultimate favorite comfort foods--sinfully rich, gooey-cheesy and tummy-warming on a chilly day. In my opinion, using varying degrees of cheddar cheese creates the perfect flavor combination. I have experimented with other cheese combinations but usually return to the classic cheddars. After making this homemade mac-n-cheese for my husband, he was successfully converted from being a lover of boxed powdered mixes. Be advised that all diets go out the window for this one!
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cabot's Seriously Sharp)
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cabot's Vermont Cheddar)
- 1⁄2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- While making cheese mixture, cook macaroni per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter until translucent.
- Add flour to saucepan and stir to combine, leaving no dry flour bits.
- Add milk all at once to saucepan along with black pepper. Stir to combine. Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in cheeses one at a time until melted, and mixture is smooth.
- Place cooked macaroni in a 1-quart casserole dish. Stir in cheese mixture until combined.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve.