Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my version of an all-American classic. It is one of my ultimate favorite comfort foods--sinfully rich, gooey-cheesy and tummy-warming on a chilly day. In my opinion, using varying degrees of cheddar cheese creates the perfect flavor combination. I have experimented with other cheese combinations but usually return to the classic cheddars. After making this homemade mac-n-cheese for my husband, he was successfully converted from being a lover of boxed powdered mixes. Be advised that all diets go out the window for this one!
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cabot's Seriously Sharp)
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use Cabot's Vermont Cheddar)
- 1⁄2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- While making cheese mixture, cook macaroni per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter until translucent.
- Add flour to saucepan and stir to combine, leaving no dry flour bits.
- Add milk all at once to saucepan along with black pepper. Stir to combine. Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken.
- Stir in cheeses one at a time until melted, and mixture is smooth.
- Place cooked macaroni in a 1-quart casserole dish. Stir in cheese mixture until combined.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve.
Comfort food at its best. This is a great dish to have on a cold winter night. I used medium shells and doubled the amount to 2 cups (uncooked). I still had plenty of yummy, gooey cheese sauce. I used the sharp and mild cheddar cheeses, but substituted the extra-sharp cheddar cheese with Velveeta. Made for December, 2008 Aussie/NZ Swap.
This was a super easy and good recipe. I fixed it as written. I felt like it was still lacking something but just couldn't put my finger on it. Maybe a bit more seasoning. It was a big hit with my kids. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for The I recommend tag game. June 2010
Oh WOW, this Mac and Cheese recipe is AWESOME!!!! It is cheesy, creamy and makes you come back for more and more and more. :) It is so delish! I used whole spelt pasta and fat-reduced cheese and it still came out super creamy and cheesy. Mmmm! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this awesome recipe with us! Ill definitely make it again! Made and reviewed for the Australian/New Zealand Recipe Swap June 2010.