Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe from Delia Smith's new vegetarian cook book. It is basically a French variation on mashed potatoes, to which garlic and cheese are added.
- 450 g desiree potatoes or 450 g king edward potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved lengthways
- 25 g butter
- 225 g grated lancashire cheese
- salt and pepper
- Place garlic and butter in a pan on lowest heat possible for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes.
- With an electric hand whisk on slow, begin to break up the potatoes and add the butter and garlic, some pepper, and a handful of the cheese.
- Switch the speed to high, and add the cheese a handful at a time.
- Keep going and it will become loose and glossy eventually.
- Serve immediately.
Good cheesy comfort food. Quite heavy due to the cheese. I didn't use a whisk but just used a masher.