Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe came from Alice Bay Cookbook. The buttermilk sauce sounds strange, but believe me, it is really good. I always double the recipe, as I don't want to run out.
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 cups grated unpared fresh apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and cinnamon onto waxed paper.
- Combine sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla, orange juice, and orange peel in a large bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer until well blended.
- Stir in flour mixture until well mixed.
- Fold in apples, walnuts, and coconut.
- Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake in a slow oven for 1 1/2 hours or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Transfer cake from pan to a serving plate with a raised edge.
- Puncture top of cake all over with a wooden pick or skewer.
- Spoon hot Buttermilk Sauce over warm cake several times.
- Let stand for about an hour before serving.
- Pour extra sauce into a small pitcher and serve with cake.
- BUTTERMILK SAUCE-----------------.
- Combine sugar, butter, soda, and buttermilk in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and spoon over cake.