Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This carrot dish is from the Orange County Register, attributed to Jack Elvis. It would pair well with chicken or a fish dish. I haven't tried this yet, but I imagine that the combination of flavors will be excellent.
- Steam the carrots in a steamer basket for about 5 minutes, or until barely tender. Reserve 5 tbsp of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, toast the cumin seeds in a dry skillet just until they release their fragrance. Set aside.
- In a pot that will be large enough to hold the carrots, saute the garlic in the oil for about 1 minute. Add the 5 tbsp of carrot cooking water, the hot sauce, lemon juice, cumin seed, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Add in the carrots, partially cover and cook over med-low heat until the carrots are tender and the liquid has reduced, approximately 10 minutes. Do not let it dry out completely.
- Stir in the mint leaves and serve immediately.
A delicious side dish that went very well with Chicken Tagine With Fennel and Olives. I did use baby cut carrots as that is what I had on hand. Made for No Nonsense Nibblers in *ZWT6*