Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is being posted in response to a member who was looking for a peach cobbler recipe with more "spice" to it. It is from Mr. Small's book entitled "Grace the Table: Stories and Recipes from My Southern Revival". NOTE-the last 5 ingredients(2 c flour-1/2 c buttermilk) are for the dough.
- 6 cups fresh peaches or 6 cups frozen peaches, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch mace
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Butter a 13x9 inch casserole or baking dish.
- Put peaches in a large bowl, sprinkle with lemon juice; toss to coat.
- Add the sugar, spices and 3 1/2 T flour; toss to coat.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Dot with the butter pieces.
- Drizzle with cream.
- Seat aside.
- NOTE-Last five ingredients listed are for the dough.
- To make the dough, mix the 2 c flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the shortening.
- Make a well, pour in the buttermilk and mix until well incorporated.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface then place on top of peach mixture.
- Cut four steam vents into the dough.
- Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees, until bubbly.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with ice cream.