Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
I love baked beans. They are an essential part of our summer barbecues and picnics. But who wants to turn on their oven for several hours on a hot summer day? Not me! So I cheat and make my baked beans in a slow cooker.
- 2 lbs dried navy beans
- 2 cups water and more for soaking and simmering beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, diced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place rinsed beans in a large pot. Cover the beans with water. Cook over a high flame until it reaches a boil. Turn the heat off, place a lid on the pot, and let the beans soak for an hour. Drain the water from the beans.
- Cover the beans with fresh water and simmer for one hour or until tender. Drain the water from the beans.
- Place the beans in the slow cooker. Add ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard, onion powder, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and water. Stir well.
- Check on the beans occasionally and add additional water if necessary.
- Cook the beans on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours or until beans are tender.
- If your slow cooker has a warm setting, you can turn it to warm until you are ready to serve.
- I use the leftover baked beans to make "Beanie Wienies" for my kids. Just dice a few leftover hot dogs, add them to the leftover beans, and heat and you have a quick and easy lunch or dinner on a busy day.