Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe I got from the Alber's brand cornmeal box a number of years ago. It's my favorite cornbread recipe. It's sweet, but not too sweet. They've since changed the recipe on their box and I'm grateful I kept the old one...while the new isn't bad, it's really sweet...it tastes like corn-flavored cake. This is a happy medium. Best served hot with lots of butter (imo), but good cold, also. I'm posting this here for safe-keeping. Note: You can measure out and mix the dry ingredients together and keep in in a tightly closed container for those times when you need to whip up a quick batch of cornbread. For a killer crust on the cornbread, use a cast-iron skillet.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Combine oil, eggs and milk together and mix well.
- Stir dry ingredients into liquid ingredients just until blended; do not over-mix.
- Pour into a well-buttered 9x13 inch pan or an equivalent-size cast-iron skillet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or til done.