Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe is from one of Alan King's comedy books. It's a fabulous recipe that I use often.
- 4 lbs beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 large onions, cut into chunks
- 3 big carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- Sprinkle all sides of the beef with salt and pepper. In dutch oven, brown the beef slowly in its own fat or oil. (The recipe says to never trim off any of the fat. Alan King's mother always said "That's the best part!") Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic to pot to brown along with the beef.
- When beef is browned, add about 1-inch boiling water. Cover and let simmer, slowly but steadily, for 2 hours, turning meat several times. Add more water if needed to keep 1-inch of liquid in the pan.
- After 2 hours, add the potatoes. Continue cooking for another 2 hours, turning meat several times.
- Half an hour before serving, remove meat and slice 1/2-inch thick. Put back in the gravy to absorb the juices for another 30 minutes.