Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Very interesting type of "roast". Originally came from a cookbook from northern Wisconsin where Al Capone used to hang out. Otherwise I have no idea how the name came about, but its a great meal, even for a gangster!
- Brown sausage and slice in finger sized pieces.
- Slice 1 pepper, 1/2 of onion and cheese into finger sized pieces.
- Place all on top of long end of steak.
- Slice 1/2 of mushrooms and mince garlic and place on top of previous items.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil into 13x9 baking dish.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion and secure with toothpicks.
- Slice remaining pepper, onion, mushrooms and place around steak in the pan.
- Sear in 450 oven turning occasionally for 1/2 hour.
- Mix paste and water together, and pour over steak.
- Reduce heat to 400 and cook for 45-60 minutes til done.
- Remove toothpicks and slice.
I really liked this! The flavors were awesome! I ended up using mozzarella cheese and 4 really thin steaks (about 1/4 pound each)and tried to stuff as much in each one as possible :) and then whatever was leftover I put around the steaks after the first half hour. I also topped it with more mozzarella the last 10 minutes of cooking, yum....cheese. I served it with pasta andI think next time I will cut up even more mushrooms and onions and add more sauce then listed in the recipe so there's more for the pasta. Because of the smaller steaks, I overcooked it a little, but it was still outstanding and I can only imagine how much better it will be when I get it right! Thanks Laurie for the recipe and for answering all my questions about it!