Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Very interesting type of "roast". Originally came from a cookbook from northern Wisconsin where Al Capone used to hang out. Otherwise I have no idea how the name came about, but its a great meal, even for a gangster!
- Brown sausage and slice in finger sized pieces.
- Slice 1 pepper, 1/2 of onion and cheese into finger sized pieces.
- Place all on top of long end of steak.
- Slice 1/2 of mushrooms and mince garlic and place on top of previous items.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil into 13x9 baking dish.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion and secure with toothpicks.
- Slice remaining pepper, onion, mushrooms and place around steak in the pan.
- Sear in 450 oven turning occasionally for 1/2 hour.
- Mix paste and water together, and pour over steak.
- Reduce heat to 400 and cook for 45-60 minutes til done.
- Remove toothpicks and slice.