Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is my mom's recipe, one she's been making for years, and well loved by everyone including myself. Light dish to serve with chicken, pork and turkey.
- 2 (10 ounce) frozen spinach, thawed
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- Pre heat oven 350.
- In a saute pan, melt butter and olive oil.
- Add onions and saute on medium heat until translucent and tender.
- In a small pot, scald milk with bay leaf and peppercorns on low heat.
- In a small pan, heat flour on medium heat for approximately 15 mins, whisk frequently until flour texture is soft and silky (this step, cuts the flour after taste).
- Once the onions are clear and tender, add the flour to the mix and whisk flour for approximately one minute.
- Remove pan from heat, strain milk and add to onions and whisk.
- Return to heat, whisk constantly until sauce thickens, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add salt, parmesan and nutmeg (bechamel sauce can be made a day in advance).
- Remove from heat, and add spinach.
- Add the spinach bechamel mix to an 8X8 oven proof dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.