Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A wonderful thick okra soup with bacon, corn and tomatoes!
Make and share this African Okra Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Trim off both ends of okra pods.
- Slice 1/4 inch thick.
- Carefully place the tomatoes into a small pot of boiling water for about 30-45 seconds. Remove from water and peel off skin.
- Slice tomatoes in half and scoop out the runny insides, discard this part. Coarsely chop the fleshy part of the tomatoes.
- Dice the bacon and fry until crisp. Remove to papertowels. Save grease.
- Place all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the okra is just tender.
- *1-2 Tbl. bacon grease can (and should)be added to enhance the soup's flavor.
- **The lemon can be thickly sliced and cooked right in the pot of soup, or it can be zested and halved and the fresh juice can be squeezed over each portion when served to taste, and garnished with the zest.
I'm a southern girl, and I just love fresh okra. This is a wonderful recipe, it was just great...I like extra seasonings, so I added some garlic powder to taste. Ummmmm!
Okra is one of my favorite things and I loved this soup. I used beef broth and I don't think it would be the same without it. Spinkled with flat parsley for a fresh flavor. Straight into my okra cookbook this one goes!