Charleston Okra Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 4 (16 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained & chopped
- 1 (1 lb) ham hock
- 3 cups sliced okra (about 3/4 lb)
- 1 cup fresh corn, cut from cob
- 1 cup fresh lima beans
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- hot cooked yellow rice
- Combine all ingredients except rice in a large Dutch oven, brng to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hr, stirring frequently.
- Remove bay leat & discard.
- Remove ham hock from soup.
- Remove meat from the bone and chop.
- Add meat from the bone and stir well.
- Place rice in bowls & ladle soup over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
"love" southern living... love cooking and have been using Recipezaar for years... My Southern Living Cookbooks lay in stacks gathering dust. Make almost everything from scratch.