Anna P.'s Note:
A great cookie to have with tea or coffee, The balls can be rolled in finely chopped nuts before baking. They can also be dredged in powdered sugar after baking, but these are quiet sweet, so taste one before you decide to roll them in sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place the chopped dates in a small cup and cover with the boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Drain and discard the liquid.
- 4Combine the flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
- 5In a large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 6Stir in the dates.
- 7Beat in the vanilla extract.
- 8Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- 9Fold in the cornflakes.
- 10Break off walnut size pieces of the dough and roll into balls.
- 11Place 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 12Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- 13Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Afghan Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (583 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 813.5
- Calories from Fat 475
- Total Fat 52.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 259.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 7.4 g