Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great cookie to have with tea or coffee, The balls can be rolled in finely chopped nuts before baking. They can also be dredged in powdered sugar after baking, but these are quiet sweet, so taste one before you decide to roll them in sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chopped dates in a small cup and cover with the boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain and discard the liquid.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the dates.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the cornflakes.
- Break off walnut size pieces of the dough and roll into balls.
- Place 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.