Adobo is a very popular marinade for pork and other meats in the Spanish-speaking Caribbean and Central America. The ingredients vary widely, but most have a base of oil, garlic and some type of acidic ingredient.
- Place all the ingredients together in a blender or food processor and process until fairly smooth.
- Use as a marinade for pork, chicken or beef.
- Meats flavored with adobo are often left to marinate for up to 5 days. The longer the time, the better the flavor.
- Substitute 1-2 dried ancho or other chilies for the paprika to get a Mexican-style marinade.
- Soak the chilies in hot water for about 20 minutes to soften first.