1/1 Photo of Addictive Healthy Muffins
This recipe had come to me through several hands and has no doubt been somewhat modified although I was told the original may have come from Prevention Magazine. These keep very well and freeze beautifully. You will need a food processor to chop the oranges but the rest is done by hand You may have to do some searching in a good market or health food store for some of the ingredients but once you try them you will be glad you too will be addicted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup ground flax seeds (not whole)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup buttermilk (or buttermilk powder and water to equal 1 C)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line two medium size muffin pans (2-1/2" muffins) with paper muffin cups.
- 3In medium bowl put all dry ingredients together (except brown sugar) mix together and set aside.
- 4If using buttermilk powder, add it here and add the water with the wet ingredients.
- 5Wash and cut the stem end off the oranges.
- 6Cut into small equal pieces skins and all.
- 7Put into workbowl of food processor and pulse until pieces are about the size of large raisins.
- 8Put oranges into a large bowl, add all the wet ingredients and brown sugar.
- 9Mix together by hand then add in dry ingredients and stir until all are incorporated.
- 10Allow to stand about 3 minutes then fill each muffin cup to top.
- 11Each cup will take about 1/4°C These are dense and do not rise much.
- 12Top off each with any leftover mixture.
- 13Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
- 14To freeze; Allow to cool for at least 4 hours, I put 6 in each plastic bag. To reheat, Reheat from frozen state for one minute or thaw at room temperature and reaheat for about 15 seconds. Microwave ovens vary a lot so you may have to modify the time.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Addictive Healthy Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.8
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 18.0 mg
- Sodium 118.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 4.0 g