Recipe by Chef Beorn Hockenhull
There is a biblical reference to "Adam's Rib"; I just thought that would be a catchy name for this dish. Here, I've created two wet rubs; New Mexican with chipotle and other classic Latin seasonings. And a Korean-spiced wet rub of low sodium soy sauce, ginger and red pepper flakes. This recipe is similar to what I use in my restaurant where I sear the ribs in a saute' pan, then flambe' with sake for the pork and tequila for the beef before putting the whole pan in a 400 degree oven. (That trick can be dangerous so please stick to the recipe below) Two continents: One dish! Tip: For added tenderness, marinate ribs for up to 10 hours. Bake (Roast) covered in foil at 300 degrees for 30 minutes and then uncovered for an additional 30 minutes to brown. Beorn Hockenhull is the executive chef at DrinkTapasBar in Pomona, CA.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork ribs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef ribs
- 2 ounces salt
- 2 ounces pepper
- 2 ounces granulated garlic
- 2 ounces Chinese five spice powder
- 2 ounces chipotle adobo sauce (canned, pureed)
- 2 ounces soy sauce
- 2 ounces brown sugar
- 2 ounces agave nectar
- 2 ounces minced onions
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 ounce ginger (freshly grated)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces beer
- 6 ounces sake
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper (julienned)
- 1 tablespoon scallion (sliced on the bias)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat ovent to 400 degrees. Using two gallon size ziplock baggies, Use one for pork, and the other, for beef.
- Rub both the pork and the beef generously with salt, pepper, garlic and onion.
- For the pork: Add Chinese five spice, soy sauce, red pepper flakes,agave nectar, ginger and Sake. Marinate for 10 minutes in your refridgerator.
- For the beef: Combine pureed chipotle adobo sauce, brown sugar, cumin and the beer. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- On a parchment-lined sheetpan lay the ribs down, equally spaced. Pour remaining marinade over the ribs.
- Use two sheetpans if necessary or roast in two batches.
- Upon placing ribs in oven and closing the door. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. Roast for 30 minutes.