Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The flavors of this squash just scream Fall to me. I originally put this sauce on a small carnival squash, but it went really well with acorn squash, which serves a few more.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs acorn squash
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to your taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and discard seeds.
- Set squash halves, cut-side up, in an 8x8x2 inch microwavable baking dish.
- Pour 1/4 cup water into dish, cover, and microwave on High (100%) for 5 minutes.
- After squash is done fill cavity of each squash with half of the raisins.
- Combine remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve cornstarch.
- Pour half of mixture into each squash cavity.
- Cover and microwave on High (100%) for 2 minutes, until squash is fork tender and liquid thickened.
- Alternately, you could bake this squash in a 350 oven for about 25, add the raisins and remaining ingredients and bake for 10 more minutes, or until fork tender.
3 1/2 stars I was also one to do it in the oven without going by this recipe as it still woudn't be cooked if I had. I baked it at 400F for 35 minutes upside down in 1/4 inch water in a canola greased pan. I used both yellow and dark raisins and tapioca starch because we are allergic to corn here but it works in exactly the same fashion. I didn't like the consistency of the sauce though. I cooked the sauce on the stove and kept it warm to pour over the squash halves from the oven as I don't believe it wouldn't have worked out had I put it in them. I used pineapple juice instead of apple cider. I wont make this again.
Easy, fast, accurate, and delicious. Once the squash was cooked (I used the microwave option), I mashed the flesh with the delicious sauce inside the shells. So good.
Flavor was good -- raisins are a big favorite here -- but this didn't work well in the oven for me. I had to cook it for almost twice as long -- should I have cooked it upside down? I'll just try the microwave next time.