Recipe by Cheri B
I did not, get this from any one ! This is a hand-me down recipe, my Mom, Grandma, her Mom Ect.... Like it love, "tweek" it to your own taste. I have never been told YUCK just where did you get this recipe? Simple, tasty, smokey and loved !
- 2 acorn squash
- 8 slices bacon, use your favorite
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- salt & pepper
- after much time i have looked at this recipe and realize my Mistake
- there is no sweeteners add about 2 tablespoons per 1/2 brown sugar
- use honey or syrup, at your discretion
Directions See How It's Made
- I like to buy the squash a month or two ahead of time to let it ripen, so that the squash turns yellow all the way around, not just on the bottom. That is when they are ripe. But if you didn't, don't let it stop you from making this recipe !
- Cut squash in 1/2 with the grooves.
- Remove the pulp with the seeds, and cut thin slice off back half, so the half lays steady-flat with out tipping, but try do not cut through the center.
- Place squash in greased oven proof pan.
- Place butter around edges of squash, and some in center, of each half.
- You will use 1 tablespoon for each half, more or less. This depends on how buttery you want it.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, salt and pepper to taste, and then place bacon around edges of squash.
- Cover entire dish with foil, bake at 350 degrees, 45 minutes, or until done.
- To test for doneness, be careful when removing foil,steam will come out, fork test squash for tenderness, when done it will be soft all the way through, to skin.