Recipe by Rita~
A healthy side nicely seasoned with onion, garlic, nutmeg and parsley. This side is rich in nutrition and fiber, cabbage is an absolutely phenomenal source of Vitamin C also Vitamin A, E and B, rich in iron and sulfur. This is a good thing to add to your diet if trying to lower blood cholesterol. Just skip the butter!
Top Review by breezermom
I made this tonight, and it is delicious. I did find it a little sweet, so next time I'll mix the apple juice with chicken stock, and maybe increase the brussel sprouts a little (I love brussel sprouts!). Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 apple, cored and shredded
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy bottom pan heat butter and oil. Add onions and brown slightly over high heat for 5 minutes stirring not to burn.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to medium and add garlic and stir inches Add apple and stir to deglaze. Add cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Stir in juice, nutmeg and parsley simmer stove top till tender. Or place in 350 oven till tender about 20 minutes.