Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
Homemade cream of mushroom soup beats the canned variety any day. It is thick and creamy texture lets you know that this is going to be good!
- 4 scallions (diced. Use the white and light green part)
- 1⁄2 Spanish onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups creamini mushrooms (diced)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 2 cups water
- In a soup pot, heat butter and olive oil.
- Add scallions and onion. Cook until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and salt. Salt will help release the moisture from the mushrooms and aid in cooking. Cook until the mushrooms become tender.
- Add the all purpose flour to create a roux. Cook to get rid of the raw flour flavor. Keep stirring to avoid sticking.
- Add water and cream. Stir to combine and place the lid. Cook until a boil.
- Switch off the gas and remove the soup pot. With the help of a hand blender, blend this mixture until smooth.
- Place the soup pot back on the stove, place the lid and bring to a boil.
- Garnish with ½ Tsp of grated Parmesan cheese or chopped chives.
- Feel free to use a blend of button and creamini mushrooms.
- A slice of fresh, toasted baguette compliments it to perfection.