Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cooking time does not include chill time.
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kool-aid unsweetened lemonade mix
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract, plus
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups cold soda water
- Dissolve the sugar and Kool-Aid drink mix in hot water in small pitcher.
- Add corn syrup and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Cover and chill syrup until cold.
- When the syrup is cold, pour 1/4 cup syrup into 1 cup cold soda water.
- Stir gently, add ice and serve.
I made a batch of the syrup yesterday to take to our grandsons little league game (for the team), and I was planning to mix them there. Unfortunately, the storms made them cancel the game until this evening. So hubby and I made 1 glass portion and tested it. It was very good. I've never had an A&W Cream Soda (I always use to get their Root Beer Floats), so I don't really know if I can say it tastes correct or not, I can only say that we enjoyed it. I've still got the remainder of the syrup in my fridge, along with the soda water. I wish it specified how long you can refrigerate the syrup, hopefully it will still be okay by this evening (it has not been mixed with the soda water yet). Thank you for posting this recipe. I'm sure all the little guys on the team are going to love it. (Made for Name That Ingredient tag)
This really hit the spot ! Made this as posted though I did add a 1/4 more sugar. Made for a real cool treat, for us and the 6th graders on a field trip. Was very refreshing and flavorful.
This worked great! The only thing I changed was upping the sugar to 2 cups, but that's my own taste preference. Have already made this several times. SLColman rocks!