Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe came from the book HOW TO GRILL by Steven Raichlen. An excellent flavor and presentation and so simple. this can also be done on the grill with wood chips for add smoked flavor.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4 inch slivers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium cabbage (2-3lbs.)
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- Core the cabbage about 3" deep around at a slight angle to remove the core and create a cone for bacon onion filling.
- Slice onion and bacon then brown together[3-5 min.
- Place the cabbage on a ring made from aluminum foil.
- Then spoon bacon/onion mixture into cavity and top with BQ sauce and cubes of butter.
- Place the cabbage with foil ring upright on a cookie sheet or dish into a preheated oven at 350 for 1-11/2 hours till cabbage is quite done.
- the cabbage should pierce easily.
- Remove when tender and peel any dried outer leaves.
- Then quarter,salt and pepper and serve.
- Note:If grilling.
- Do not place cabbage over direct heat.
- Wood chips may be added in a double foil pouch on coals or over the direct gas flames.