1/1 Photo of A Peach of a Cake
1 hr 5 mins
This was originally a recipe from Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Cooking. I took many liberties with both the ingredients and preparation. I'm sure it would be great with many combinations of fruit, fruit juice & gelatin. Peach just happens to be my favorite of the day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 angel food cake, store bought or homemade
- 1 cup peach nectar
- 1 (1/3 ounce) box sugar-free peach gelatin mix
- 1 (15 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peaches, thawed and drained or 2 cups fresh peaches or 2 cups canned peaches
- 16 ounces non-dairy whipped topping or 2 cups whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons rum extract, I don't use it (optional)
- 1Heat peach nectar in microwave for 1-2 minutes or until very hot but not boiling.
- 2Pour over gelatin and stir till combined.
- 3Cool in fridge for 15 minutes.
- 4Cut the peach slices into 1/2" pieces.
- 5Stir peaches into ricotta then add in the gelatin mixture.
- 6Chill another 30 minutes or until just set.
- 7Meanwhile, using a serrated knife, cut top off angel food cake & hollow out center leaving a 1" edge.
- 8Eat the leftover cake pieces as a snack while you finish up the recipe.
- 9Spoon cooled gelatin/ricotta/peach mixture into angel food shell & replace the top.
- 10I usually have a couple of tablespoons too much filling. That's the cook's snack # 2.
- 11**Tip - if you find that the center edge of the cake tries to fold in under the weight of the filling, place a juice glass in the hollow center. Remove it before serving.
- 12Stir extract into whipped topping & frost the cake.
- 13Garnish with peach slices, if desired.
- 14Chill at least 1 hour before serving & keep any leftovers refrigerated.
- 15Note: I've made this in a hurry & rather than hollowing out the cake, I cut it up into 1" cubes & layered it with the filling for a trifle type dessert.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for A Peach of a Cake
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.3
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 326.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 38.7 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sugar-free peach gelatin mix