Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This lighter version is lower in calories, fat, sodium, and cholesterol than the regular versions.
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini (leave the skins on for more colour and nutrition)
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, sliced (you can use green if you prefer, but the red just adds to the colour!)
- 1⁄2 cup peas (fresh or frozen, just not canned)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped (it would probably be best not to substitute for dried parsley)
- 16 ounces angel hair pasta
- Steam broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, pepper and peas for about 10 minutes. Remove from the steamer and leave uncovered so it doesn't continue to cook.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Add the steamed vegetables and stir to coat. Remove from heat, but leave in pot and keep covered.
- In another pot, heat the margarine, milk and parmesan cheese over medium heat until thickened. Stir continuously so it doesn't burn.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, (or until al-dente)Drain, and top with vegetables, and pour sauce over top.