Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is a wickedly-good concoction ï¿½ a soup thatï¿½s perfect for summer! The colour is so beautiful ï¿½ a deep, rich vermillion - and with a drizzle or dollop of dill-infused crème fraiche, itï¿½s nearly too pretty to eat. Fortunately, the taste lives up to the stunning visual!
Top Review by awalde
We enjoyed this lovely soup adapting the ingredients to what we had at home:
Plain yogurt and some ice cubes instead of buttermilk and a mix of dried dill and fresh chives instead of fresh dill. We used red balsamico vinegar.
This was a delicious and beautiful lunch served with still warm toasted bread!
- 1⁄2 lb cooked beets (2-3 beets, depending on their size)
- 1 pimento pepper (roasted, from a jar)
- 1 green onion (all of the white and 2 inches of the crisp green)
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Creme Fraiche Drizzle
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche or 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely-minced fresh dill
- 2 sprigs fresh dill (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make soup: Put all the soup ingredients in a blender. Process for 45-seconds to 1 minute, or until you have a completely smooth puree. Taste and adjust seasoning. Empty into a food-safe container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to marry flavours. (Can be made up to 2 days ahead).
- To make Crème Fraiche Drizzle: Combine crème fraiche with finely-minced fresh dill. Refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be made up to 2 days ahead).
- To serve: Serve soup in pretty white bowls, if you have them, as the colour is so amazing. Drizzle with the crème fraiche and top each with a fresh sprig of dill.