- 1 (14 ounce) package dried split peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-cooking brown rice, uncooked
- 1 (14 ounce) package alphabet pasta
- 1 (12 ounce) package pearl barley
- 1 (12 ounce) package dried lentils
- 4 cups dried onion flakes
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (24 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice (regular or spicy)
- 1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- To make soup mix: combine all soup mix ingredients until well combined; transfer to an airtight container.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months; shake well before using.
- To make soup: Add water, garlic salt, and 1 1/2 cups ABC Wintertime Soup Mix to a large soup pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add in remaining "other ingredients"; simmer until vegetables are tender (about 20-30 minutes).