Prep 1 min
Cook 1 min
Ohh, one of my favorite quick sweet recipes! When I was about 10, I was at a friend’s house and the mother made a few batches of these. When my ma picked me up, I had her taste one and she HAD to get the recipe. These are SOOOO good! They are quite addicting though hehe…you may need a few batches! 8)
- 3 cups quick oats
- 2 cups sugar or 2 cups Splenda sugar substitute or 2 cups sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Have all ingredients measured and ready.
- Place sugar, milk, butter and the cocoa in pan.
- Bring to boil.
- Boil for 1 minute. Remove from burner.
- Quickly, stir in the quick oats, peanut butter, and vanilla extract.
- Drop onto wax paper by round teaspoonfuls.
- Leave to stand approximately 1/2 hour.
This recipe is similar to cookies/candy I made in Home Ec. back in the 80s. I really like the combination of peanut butter and chocolate, but the texture of the cookies was fragile. The cookies never really became firm. I added a smidgen more peanut butter than the recipe called for - may that's why.
I tried making a version of these with soy butter, as I have a nephew who is alergic to wheat, peanuts and eggs - which makes it really hard to bake cookies for him! It worked perfectly- and they taste great. Have to work fast thought - they set up faster and firmer with the soy butter.
Very tasty and quick to make, but didn't firm up like I expected, maybe because I used natural peanut butter which has more oil in it. However, I remedied it by making them into little balls and rolling them in grated almonds! Very nice and then not so sweet. Parfait