Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 mins
A microwave sponge pudding with banana slices and caramel sauce. 30 second prep (OK 30second ish), 2.30minutes cooking and 3 minutes waiting! Found the sponge recipe on the web and the banana and caramel additions are mine! This is great to rustle up when you just need a warm cuddle from a pudding. It isn't as good as an old fashioned steamed suet pudding but we don't all have that many hours, do we?
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 ounce sugar
- 2 ounces self-raising flour
- 1 ounce butter or 1 ounce margarine or 1 ounce sunflower oil
- 1 banana, sliced
- 2 tablespoons thick caramel sauce
- In a bowl mix the egg, sugar, flour and butter (or butter substitute) together until light.
- In a 1 pint microwave safe bowl put the sliced banana and spoon the sauce over.
- Spoon the sponge mix over the banana and caramel.
- Cover with cliingfilm and pierce and microwave for 2 and a half minutes (Mine is 850W oven).
- The sponge should rise beautifully - it should be firm to the touch on top but still have a bit of a wobble.
- Leave it sit for 3 minutes (this for me is the hard part).
- Serve hot with custard (my preference is cold with a hot pudding), a scoop of good vanilla ice cream or whipped or pouring cream.
- Alternatives: I've done this with roasted rhubarb (with a little powdered ginger). Would be good with golden syrup, fruit jam, perhaps sliced tinned pear and chocolate desert sauce. The possibilities abound.
- I've also done this with half oz sunflour and half oz apple sauce and felt very virtuous.