Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 mins
taken from http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2008/10/19/re-the-5-minute-chocolate-cake-email-how-desperate-are-you/
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 3 tablespoons coffee, hot or cold
- In a microwave-safe 2-cup measure, stir together a heaping 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Add 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) milk, and a teaspoon of vanilla. Stir till smooth.
- Mix 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon cocoa, and 3 tablespoons hot or cold coffee. Pour into the cup.
- Gently swirl it in; don’t mix thoroughly.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, depending how powerful your microwave is. When done, it’ll look set on top, and kind of mushy around the edges.
- Turn the cake onto a plate. It’ll be layered with… well, let’s call it sauce. It’s actually semi-baked batter, but since there are no eggs in here, it’s fine.
I was looking for a quick recipe for a midnight snack. I should have trusted my instincts and stuck with the recipe I've used for years, even if it meant more time and effort. This dessert wasn't even edible. The reviewer that mentioned how it smelled and tasted like playdough was spot on...it was absolutely horrible. My husband and son are still trying to get the tastes out of their mouths!<br/><br/>For anyone considering making this, do yourself a favor and find another recipe. This was downright disgusting. <br/>I'm not usually one to write such a negative review, but in this case I felt I had to.
I was so disappointed by this cake! Followed the recipe exactly and it tasted and smelled like playdough. Yuck. It wad really thick and gooey in a bad way. Would not recommend.
I made this as a treat for DD tonight and she adored it - she could not believe it was done in the microwave - just delicious.