Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
For a quick and easy lemon meringue pie
- 18 milk arrowroot biscuits, crushed
- 3 ounces melted butter
- 1 (400 g) can condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon, rind of, finely grated
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- Combine biscuits and butter.
- Press into a foil lined 8" pie plate.
- combine condensed milk, lemon juice, rind, and egg yolks.
- place in crumb crust.
- beat egg whites until stiff.
- gradually add the sugar.
- beat until sugar has dissolved.
- spoon or pipe meringue over the lemon filling.
- bake in a moderate oven (350F-375F) for 15 minutes or til golden.
This was a good change from my normal lemon meringue pie , I used a graham cracker crust (I'm in the US and can't get the arrowroot biscuits). The only change I really made was I doubled up on the meringue because I love meringue. ;) Very smooth creamy filling , not too sweet, not too tart , and FAST to put together!!! Thanks for posting!!
I was very happy with this. I was looking for something a little different in a lemon meringue, and bookmarked this to try today.<br/><br/>I used a graham cracker crust because that's what I had. I wasn't sure how the condensed milk would work with the lemon juice, and wasn't sure it would set up well enough in only 15 minutes' baking time, but it did great!<br/><br/>SO much less "fiddly" than the stovetop cornstarch/sugar/water method. This will be my go-to lemon meringue from now on.
My husband wants this to become a Thanksgiving tradition he liked it so much! I did use another meringue recipe that had 3 eggs and some cream of tartar, just for a little more on top.