Recipe by Nana Lee
Easter dinner dish #3. Easy way to dress up asparagus -- for an everyday meal or a gala occasion. Goes with recipes #1&2, previously posted.
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In 1-quart saucepan, cook shallot in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-low heat until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat; cool slightly.
- Tear bread into small crumbs.
- Spread crumbs on jelly-roll pan and bake 3 to 6 minutes until golden.
- In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 inch water to boiling over high heat.
- Add asparagus and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, 5 to 10 minutes until asparagus spears are tender; drain.
- Place asparagus in shallow, broiler-safe dish; drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Preheat broiler if manufacturer directs.
- In medium bowl, toss bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon juice, shallot mixture, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle bread-crumb mixture over asparagus.
- Place dish in broiler 5 inches from source of heat; broil about 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to platter to serve, if you like. Serve with lemon wedges.