Asparagi Alla Parmigiana (Italian Asparagus Gratin)
Found online; posting for ZWT 7-Italy. *Updated 10/10/13-Finally made this and really enjoyed! I had very skinny asparagus so I should have decreased the cooking time. I used butter and drizzled a little olive oil on top too. I recommend using thicker asparagus or decrease cooking time.*
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 - 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Butter a shallow gratin or baking dish that is just large enough to hold the asparagus.
- Place a layer of asparagus in the dish, with the tips all facing the same direction. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and some of the cheese Keep adding layers until all asparagus and all cheese is used, finishing with the cheese.
- Dot the top of the dish with the pieces of butter and place the dish on the top rack of the oven.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the asparagus is cooked through and beginning to brown and the cheese is melted.
- Instead of the butter use olive oil or half butter and half olive oil.
- Use half Parmesan and half shredded fontina cheese for a creamier gratin.
- Layer a couple of slices of prosciutto in with the asparagus if you like.
- Sprinkle with a little lemon zest for added zing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #58* How easy can anything be ? I usually microwave asparagus for 4 min., and find it never-fail. When I roast, it is with feta and red pepper flakes. How nice to to have this quick and simple prep., and taste the vegetable's flavor. Fixed 1/2 for 2 of us, and squoze a tad of lemon juice on top when served. Thanks for posting, AZPARZYCH>
Very tasty! I cooked this in the BBQ while I was also making Recipe #462876 and Recipe #389594 and it turned out very well. I like my asparagus with a little bite to it so I didn't cook it for as long as stated. This is a very simple and delicious asparagus recipe! Made for 1, 2, 3 recipe tag game. Thanks AZPARZYCH! :)