Recipe by 2Bleu
This is our vegan version of 2bleu's Beef Barley Soup (Or Chicken Barley Soup). Barley is a wonderfully versatile cereal grain with a rich nutlike flavor and an appealing chewy, pasta-like consistency. When the weather's cold, a big pot of soup simmering on the stove warms the heart as well as the hearth. In addition to its robust flavor, it's a very good source of fiber. If you can't find barley in your grocery store, you can purchase some of excellent quality pearl barley at www.nutsonline.com
Top Review by duonyte
What a nice soup. In full disclosure I did use a light chicken broth that I wanted to use instead of freezing, omitted the celery, used some rehydrated mushrooms - so nice and chewy - and a bit more of the red pepper flakes. I threw in some whole peppercorns into the soup - I find that contributes nicely to the flavor of the soup. A very satisfying soup for my supper tonight.
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped into large pieces
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preparing Barley: Like all grains, before cooking barley, rinse it thoroughly under running water and then remove any dirt or debris that you may find.
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, Add all ingredients except salt & black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally until barley and carrots are tender and fully cooked.
- Season to taste with salt & black pepper and serve. NOTES: Add more water if soup becomes too thick upon standing. Pearl barley takes a minimum of 1 hour to cook, whereas hulled barley takes 1.5 hours or more.