Recipe by mollypaul
From the Western section of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 lb pitted dates, finely minced
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a long shallow pan.
- Mix ingredients in order given, then spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from pan while still hot, cut into strips about 3 inches long and 3/4 inch wide.
- Roll in confectioner's sugar and continue cooling on cooling rack.