Recipe by NotQuiteVegetarian
This is an original bubble and squeak recipe from "Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management" one of the classic English cookery books. It was published between 1859 and 1861 when Isabella Beeton was in her early 20s and has remained in print since that time. Mrs Beeton advised that the time to make this recipe was "altogether 1/2 hour", it was seasonable "at any time" and the cost, exclusive of the cold beef, was 3d. The number of servings this recipe makes depends on the quantity of ingredients you use - 1/4 shredded cabbage makes enough for a side dish for 2. If you prefer a vegetarian version, you could substitute mashed potatoes for the beef.
- 10 slices of cold roast beef (thin slices)
- 1⁄4 cabbage, shredded
- 1 sliced onion
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the slices of beef gently in a little butter, taking care not to dry them up.
- Place on a serving dish and keep warm.
- Boil cabbage till tender.
- Drain well.
- Place until hot in a frying pan with butter, a sliced onion and seasoning of pepper and salt.
- When the onion is done, it is ready to serve.
- To serve, place fried greens over warm sliced beef.