Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is one for the ages. The crust is flaky and flavorful. Delicious for any kind of pie your heart desires. Makes enough for 4 8-inch pie crusts or about 3 9-inch crusts. Can be used for topping, lattice top, cut-outs, etc.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- In a large mixing bowl using a pastry cutter, mix flour, shortening, sugar and salt until crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg and water. Add to flour mixture using the pastry cutter.
- I have also used a food processor and a dough blade on pulse for each step.
- Cover tightly with plastic and chill until ready to roll out.
Awesome pie crust!! Great flavor..easy to roll out. I make three balls rather than four. Freezes well, too. Thanks for sharing this pie crust recipe with us.
I love this pie crust recipe!! It definitely reminds me of the pastry crusts my grandmother would bake when I was a little girl. The crust was extremely flaky and moist. I followed the recipe exactly as written. I used the recipe for a peach pie and was very pleased with the outcome. I have also tried a recipe using butter and shortening but I'll continue using this recipe as this crust was flakier than the recipe with butter. This is a definite keeper. Thank you!